Raspberry Glazed Rosemary Chicken
* 1 tablespoon crushed rosemary
* 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 1/4 cup chicken broth
* 1 cup raspberry preserves
* 1/2 teaspoon honey mustard
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, stir together crushed rosemary, sage, and oregano.
3. Rub one side of each chicken breast with herb mixture. Place chicken herb-side up in a baking dish, and pour broth over the chicken.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
5. Place raspberry preserves in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 20 to 30 seconds to soften. Stir in honey mustard and rosemary.
6. Spread about 1 tablespoon of preserve mixture over each breast. Bake 10 minutes more.
Pesto Pasta with Chicken:
* 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
* crushed red pepper flakes to taste
* 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
* 1/2 cup pesto sauce
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until tender, then stir in chicken. Season with red pepper flakes. Cook until chicken is golden, and cooked through.
3. In a large bowl, combine pasta, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto. Toss to coat evenly.
I watched this on top chef and i though that this would be delicious and super healthy for a salad.(though i would omit the red peppers.)
Fruit and Roasted Red Peppers with Chimichurri:
1/4 cup diced pineapple
1/4 cup diced watermelon
1/4 cup seedless green & red grapes, cut in half
1/4 cup diced cantelope
1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers strips
1 recipe Spicy mint chimichurri
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process until smooth but still chunky. (you can omit this step)
2. Transfer to a large bowl.
Spicy Mint Chimichurri:
1 tablespoon red chili flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped shallot
1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1. Combine fruit and red peppers with chimichurri sauce.
2. Mix well to coat all fruit.
3. Cover and set aside to allow to marinate for 10-30 minutes.
2 cups chopped baby spinach
5 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1. In a large bowl, combine spinach, olive oil and lemon juice. Toss gently to combine.
Divide spinach between plates. Arrange fruit mixture on top of spinach and garnish with gouda cheese.
Healthy Pita snack
* 4 whole wheat pita breads
* 1 tbp chooped fresh basil or 2 tsp dried basil
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1/8 tsp dried thyme
* 36 cherry tomatoes, sliced
* 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350F, using a paring knife, split the pita breads horizontally; cut each into quarters. Place on a nonstick baking sheet. Lightly brush tops of pita wedges with the oil. In a small bowl, combine basil, pepper, and thyme; sprinkle evenly over pita wedges. Place 2 to 3 tomato slices on each wedge. Sprinkle evenly with parmesan. Bake until cheese is slightly browned and bread is crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Using a spatula, place the wedges on a serving platter and serve immediately, or cool on a wire rack and serve at room temperature.
* 1/2 lb ground turkey
* 1 Tbsp minced garlic
* 1 Tbsp minced jalapenos
* 1/2 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
* 8 Tbsp olive oil
* 1/2 Tbsp salt
* 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
* 2 Tbsp coriander powder
* 1/2 Tbsp ground mango powder (amchur)
* 1 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line tray with foil and grease slightly with olive oil. Combine all ingredients and form long thin kebobs. They should be approximately 5 inches in length and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place kebobs on tray and cook for about 15 minutes. Once the kebobs are cooked, squeeze fresh lemon juice on top before serving. Serve with tamarind chutney.
Vegetable Meat loaf
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1 cup soft whole wheat breadcrumbs
* 1/4 cup shredded carrot
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
* 2 TBLS finely chopped onion
* 2 TBLS finely chopped green pepper
* 1 egg slightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 tsp. Pepper
* 1 16 oz. Can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
* Cooking Spray
* 2 TBLS. Catsup
Combine all ingredients except cooking spray and catsup. Coat a broiler pan and rack with cooking spray. Place meat mixture on broiler rack and shape into a 10 “X 6 inch loaf. Spread catsup over meat loaf. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until done.
Angel Hair Pasta with Peppers and Chicken
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 large red bell pepper, julienned
3/4 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
1 cup sugar snap pea pods
6 thick slices smoked deli chicken
2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pinch salt
1 cup chicken broth
2 (8 ounce) packages angel hair pasta
In a large skillet, heat olive oil to medium high heat. Add the garlic, bell pepper, water chestnuts and pea pods. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
Cut chicken into strips, approximately 1/4 inch wide. Add the chicken, onion powder, ground black pepper and salt to the skillet. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
In a separate small saucepan, heat the chicken broth to a near boil. Pour the hot broth into the vegetable/chicken skillet. Toss and serve mixture over cooked angel hair pasta immediately.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, basil, paprika, and parsley. Mix well. Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken, and brush to cover.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and brush with the remaining 1/2 of the honey mustard mixture. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Black Bean and Corn Pasta with Chicken
1 (16 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large skillet over low heat, cook corn and black beans, 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, reserving their juice. Season with salt and pepper, and cook 2 minutes more. Pour in enough tomato juice to cover and season with hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire. Increase heat slightly, stir in chicken, and heat through, 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon over cooked pasta.
Grilled Tuna Salad
20 ounces fresh tuna steaks, 1 inch thick
3 tablespoons white wine
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups packed torn salad greens
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Place tuna in a glass dish. Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the wine, olive oil, red wine vinegar, rosemary, pepper, salt and garlic. Pour 2 tablespoons over fish and turn to coat. Marinate 15 to 30 minutes, turning once. Reserve remaining vinaigrette for salad dressing.
Coat grill rack with cooking spray and place on grill to heat 1 minute. Place tuna on grill 4 to 6 inches over hot coals. Cover with lid or tent with foil. Cook, turning once, just until tuna begins to flake easily when tested with a fork, about 7 minutes. Discard marinade.
Arrange salad greens on 4 plates. Place hot tuna on greens and add cherry tomatoes. Stir remaining vinaigrette and drizzle over salads.
Baja Bean Salad
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 cup chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup cucumber – peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 (6 ounce) container guacamole
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
corn tortilla chips
In a large bowl, toss together the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion.
In a small bowl, mix the guacamole, yogurt, and salt. If dressing seems thick, stir in a little milk. Stir into the bean mixture, and chill. Serve topped with the shredded lettuce and corn chips.
Barley Salad With Almonds And Apricots
1 1/2 cups pearl barley
4 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup dried apricots, sliced
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon